Sunday, February 3, 2013

I'm Only Watching for the Commercials

It's Super Bowl Sunday once again, and no doubt I will hear somebody tell me, "I'm just watching for the commercials." This is my pre-emptive response to save myself some time later:

WHAAAAAAAT?!?  That doesn't make any sense! I know to some degree we are all consumer whores, but I know you to be different than that. I've been around you before when you watch TV. You shush me during the show, but never during the commercials. In fact, you turn the volume down and do something else while they are on. You have no interest in what Nicki Minaj has to say about Pepsi or how good of hands you're in if you have Allstate.

When browsing the web, you have pop-up blockers enabled. When a banner ad appears on the page, you ignore it. When an ad appears on YouTube, you tab over until it's done. I've even seen you browse with Adblock on.

So tell me, why is it that you suddenly enjoy watching ads one day out of the year? The junk that airs today is the same junk that will be annoying you every 10 minutes on Hulu for the rest of the year, and you'll either hate it or try your best to ignore it. Not today, though. Today you're watching TV purely for the ads.

No comments:

Post a Comment